Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bread Tuesday!


So since beginning maternity leave, having a decrease in income and having goals set for saving, Gabriel and I have decided we are going to try to lower expenses and change eating habits. I made a commitment to him to pack a lunch for him when he is working, and have things ready available to eat quickly in the morning.

I love cooking so I decided to make a few minor and one or two major changes to my preparation.

A big one I decided was going to be to try to bake bread from scratch. I have wanted a bread maker for a while but did not know how hard it would be make it by hand from scratch. I know a machine would be simple but I just wanted to know. SO yesterday my friend Liz came over and we baked bread. SERIOUSLY one of the simplest things I have done when it comes to baking. We just made a simple white bread because neither of had ever baked bread. I did not want to complicate the process by trying a squirrely bread so white bread it was.

I would honestly recommend that if you have ever been curious about making bread to try it. It feels so rewarding when you get this beautiful shaped loaf out of the oven. Gabriel was seriously amazed. At first he did not believe that I had made it by hand. I told him he had better be grateful because Caleb and I made it for him with love.

Here is the recipe for anyone who wants to give it a try!


Dry ingredients


Dough rising for the first time

Dough risen ready to be shaped into loaves

Rising in pans

Risen and ready for oven

In they go

freshly cooling



Picture of how to make loaves


Delicious White Bread

5-6 C all-purpose flour
3TBSP sugar
2tsp Salt
2 pkg active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
2 cups water
1/4 C oil or shortening
1 tbsp butter melted

In large bowl combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast; blend well. In a small saucepan heat oil and water until very warm(120-130 F.) Add warm liquid to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in an additional 2 1/2-3 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly from the sides of the bowl.

On floured surface, knead in 1/2 -1 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size 45-60 minutes.

Grease two bread pans. Punch dough down several times to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 2 parts; shape dough into loaves, place in greased pan. Cover and let rise until dough fills pans and tops of loaves are 1 inch above pan edges, 30-35 minutes.

Heat oven to 375F. Uncover dough, bake 40-50 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans, cool completely on wire racks. Brush with butter.

Yield 2 loaves

1 comment:

  1. Isn't fresh bread amazing? Yum! I love baking bread. And kneading is always a good workout for your arms! The longer you knead, the better. I have a good recipe for a honey whole-wheat bread, if you want it. Just ask!

    ReplyDelete