Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bolillos and Nephew

My wonderful husband announced to me the day before our nephew was due to arrive from LA for the long weekend that he needed to go and buy some Bolillos. I asked what they were and once I received a some what vague explaination I asked if he thought I would be able to make them.

Yesterday afternoon after my 5mth old decided not to nap and my 3 yr old was in my mind going mental aka being a boy.. I decided I needed some baking therapy and to the kitchen I went.

I googled the real definition and found this response:

a type of savory bread traditionally made in Mexico, where it originates. It is a variation of the baguette, and is often baked in anhorno de piedra.

It is about 15 cm (six inches) long, in the shape of an oval, with a crunchy crust and a soft inside, known as migajón . It is the main ingredient for tortas and molletes. A variation of the bolillo is the telera, which is very similar, though it has a more rounded shape, is divided in three sections, and is usually softer. Other variations include bolillos made of alternate ingredients such as whole wheat, wheat germ or flax.


I thought to myself piece of cake. I pulled out my favorite white bread recipe decided to double it and got to work. Well to my already annoying day I ended up heating my water to hot and for the first time I killed my yeast. So I dumped it out and started again.


Whipped them up and in no time at all I had about 16 bolillos and 2 loaves of fresh white bread waiting for my nephew.


Will post a pic when I get a sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment